Take an artistic pilgrimage to some of the worlds most inspirational places for aesthetes and creatives with Artistic Places.
Explore the landscapes and places that inspired great art: find peace in Monet's lily-filled garden oasis, climb Mount Fuji on a printmaker's pilgrimage, sail with Gauguin to the South Pacific to stretch your imagination, or contemplate light and the changing seasons on Chelsea Embankment. Artistic Places is a stunningly illustrated, visionary guide for seekers of beauty, rare tales and cultural riches. Find yourself instantly transported to the places where great artists have sought refuge, found their inspiration and changed the course of art history forever.
Susie Hodge, bestselling author and art historian, presents 25 famous and forgotten artistic destinations around the world, and connects these to the masterpieces that celebrate them. None of these unique locations are merely backdrops to the insightful stories told, but are characters in their own right. So take a leaf out of your favourite artist's sketchbook and delve into this book to discover the places they loved best. Artists and locations include:
• J.A.M Whistler in London, England
• John Constable in Suffolk, England
• Barbara Hepworth in St Ives, England
• Paula Rego in Cascais and Estoril, Portugal
• Pablo Picasso and Guernica, Spain
• Salvador Dali in Catalonia, Spain
• Claude Monet in Giverny, France
• Vincent van Gogh in Arles, France
• Rene Magritte in Brussels, Belgium
• Paul Klee in Bern, Switzerland
• Michelangelo in Florence, Italy
• Canaletto in Venice, Italy
• Johannes Vermeer in Delft, Netherlands
• Anni Albers in Dessau, Germany
• Caspar David Friedrich in the Elbe Sandstone Mountains, Germany
• Gustav Klimt and Lake Attersee, Austria
• Edvard Munch in Oslo, Norway
• Hilma af Klint and Lake Malaren, Sweden
• Henri Matisse in Tangier, Morocco
• Hokusai on Mount Fuji, Japan
• Paul Gauguin in Papeete and Papeari, Tahiti
• Jean-Michel Basquiat in New York, USA
• Grant Wood in Iowa, USA
• Georgia O'Keeffe in New Mexico, USA
• Frida Kahlo in Coyoacan, Mexico
Each book in the Inspired Travellers Guides series offers readers a fascinating, informative and charmingly illustrated guide to must-visit destinations round the globe. Also from this series, explore intriguing: Spiritual Places, Literary Places, Hidden Places and Mystical Places.
Susie Hodge has written over 100 books on art, art history and artistic techniques, including I Know an Artist, Art Quest: Classic Art Counterfeit, What Makes Great Design, Modern Art Mayhem, Why Your Five Year Old Could Not Have Done That, Art in Detail and Modern Art in Detail. In addition, she hosts lectures, talks and practical workshops, and regularly appears on television and radio, as well as in documentaries. She has twice been named the No. 1 art writer by the Independent.
Amy Grimes is an illustrator based in London. Drawing inspiration from nature and the natural world, Amy's work often features bright and bold illustrated motifs, floral icons and leafy landscapes. As well as working on commissioned illustrations, Amy also sells prints, textiles and stationery under the brand of Hello Grimes.
History of art & design
White Lion Publishing
History of art / art & design styles